Monday, January 11, 2010

Pot Pie!


No, what you are seeing is not staged. That is indeed a two year old piling peas onto his spoon.

I have been serving pot pie to my little cowboy weekly for about a year. He has yet to grow tired of this creamy, crusty, vegetable and meat filled dish. "Pot pie" was his first two word combination. His love for pot pie has even extended goodwill to other vegetable filled dishes. This weekend he picked up a pea from his pasta and said, "Pot pie!" I conferred that yes pot pie had peas and he gobbled up all the peas in the dish.

My pot pie recipe is an adaptation of Chicken Pot Pie IX from the website allrecipes.com.

Pot Pie


1 lb. of chicken or turkey breast (cooked and cubed)
3-4 cups of vegetables (I use a mix of carrots, celery, frozen broccoli and frozen peas)
1/3 cup butter
1/2 onion, chopped
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 9-inch pie crusts


1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Add vegetables to a saucepan, cover with water and boil until cooked (abut 20-25 minutes)

3. Drain vegetables. Add chicken to vegetables.

4. In saucepan, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until in thickens.

5. Place vegetable-chicken mixture in the bottom pie crust. Pour liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several slits in top of pie.

6. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. (Note: When served hot the filling will ooze out of the slices.)

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Yum, yum, yum. I've loved the Pot Pie IX ever since you told me about it, and I can't wait to try your alterations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I imagining things or is his spoon a bulldozer? That is so Finnan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this last night -- YUMMY! Jarrett and I ate it last night for dinner and again today for lunch. I plan on trying to give some to Elsa for dinner this evening. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So... Elsa loved the crust -- no surprise there. I was able to sneak in a few bites with actual chicken and veggies between her feeding herself banana. She seemed interested in the peas, and even put one in her mouth, but then spit it back out before she really even tasted it. I think she is going through a serious phase of texture anxiety. Perhaps I should blog about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just had this for dinner and everyone loved it! It was pretty easy to put together too considering everything is from scratch (except for the Pilsbury crusts.) Lucas kept wanting more "pie" (crust) with no "food" (filling.) But I managed to sneak some into him. He is still under the weather so his appetite is not the best, but his mood improved after a few nourishing bites of this. I made sure to tell him it's Finnan's favorite and this made him less resistant to trying it. Thanks Alison!

    ReplyDelete